FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some experiences as a diamond
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:54 pm
todorovic

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? Are you saying that in the USA, you would be charged for the third person occupying the room but not explicitly the rollaway? Or that extra people would just be free, regardless of the beds, sheets, etc. being used? IMO there should be a rollaway charge and there should be a charge for additional people as either way it adds to the hotel's costs.
I guess we have different expectations and certainly different experiences. I don't know if your opinion would change depending on the age of the person sleeping on the rollaway bed - I am mostly referring to situations where the third person is a young child (<10-12 years of age). I would not feel comfortable separating young children from parents into a separate room and don't believe that families with kids should be punished for traveling together. Based on my pretty extensive experience I was never charged in the U.S. and I don't expect that to change in the future. International properties (and not just Hyatt) play by different rules but are also very transparent when it comes to their requirements in terms of occupancy and extra charges. There I expect a charge and almost often there is one. I had hotels in Middle East and Asia wave those charges but that is not the norm IME.