FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on India
Thread: Advice on India
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:56 am
manuc

Originally Posted by GavT_london
Hello All,

Wondered if regular india travellers can offer some advice. I've been reading the mumbai airport is undergoing some refurb and this is making the usual crappy experience even worse (i read a few threads on here about the bom experience)

Am planning to fly in for xmas break and spend most time in Goa, but can fly into and out of most BA served indian airports (with tweaks to class and dates) with a domestic to get to goa and back.
My current pref is to use BOM for both inbound and out in FIRST, as its a short hop down to goa and most domestic flights seem to use BOM as their hub. Since yesterday my original return date has just been taken by someone else so i can come back a day early thru BOM or can go up to DEL on my original date.
Is there a lesser of two evils where indian airports are concerned as they all sound pretty horrid experiences with indian security and the levels of checks, xrays, rudeness etc. 3 years ago they wouldnt let us into DEL intl terminal until 2hours before flight because it was too busy (even though we were flying first!)
Any advice appreciated.
thanks
GavT
while delhi has the advantage of intl-dom in the same physical terminal if connecting to 9W or AI, it is fog prone in the winter so flights can be delayed specially early morning flights

bombay airport is nowhere as good as delhi T3 but no fog in the winter
in bombay a new terminal is being built so it does not effect existing operations - the experience will not be any crappier than what is was - though you will have to do a painful transfer from international to domestic - terminals are not co-located

other options for you are MAA and BLR - both have international and domestic co-located so transfer will be less painful

btw QR also flies to Goa - you can fly 1st all the way and avoid the india domestic - international transfer (though i am not sure Doha is a great place to transfer)

enjoy Goa!

Last edited by manuc; Jun 27, 2013 at 9:06 am Reason: add QR option