FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Keeping track of manufactured spend
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:02 am
peteypablo

Quicken does the trick for me. I track money in and out of reloadables like BB. GCs get tracked in bulk, as do money orders. I post fees as negative rewards and cash rewards as positive rewards. I don't track miles or points on Quicken, so that is a bit vague. If I could settle on a conservative valuation of each kind of points or miles, I suppose I could create accounts for them as well.

I check once a week to make sure I have as many GCs and MOs in hand as Quicken says I should. I've had a few anxious moments. I have dropped a money order a couple of times, but honest people returned them. With weekly reconciliation, I have not felt the need to keep receipts longer than two weeks. I keep them that long because someone I know had a money order returned as already cashed. She had deposited three sequentially numbered money orders each for the same amount. Turns out her bank had processed one twice and another not at all.

If you keep monthly spending at or below credit limit, MS is a good way to enjoy significant float. Of course, when MS ends, the credit card bills come due. You better have the money.