FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)
View Single Post
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:16 pm
aegt123

Originally Posted by farwest101
My local Safeways are running this deal from 6/19 to 7/16.

And I had fun using the coupon this weekend. The Catalina coupon machine didn't spit out the coupon at the register I went to, so they took me to CS. CS doesn't have a Catalina machine so they just gave me gift cards.

CSR manager was busy so didn't make me do individual transactions, so I pushed thru $2K in $100s all swiped at once on one receipt. Then I mentioned to CSR that $100s are a PITA and "sure would be nice to use $500s". CSR said "oh, I meant to ask you if you wanted $500s as that is what you buy all the time anyway". So I grabbed a some $500s and rang up another $1K. Walked out with $3K in gcs and $300 in Safeway gcs good for buying anything in the store (including gasoline).

I went back today and bought another $4K of $500 gcs at CSR for $47.60 in fees (vs $238 in fees had they made my buy $100s). And walked out with $400 Safeway giftcard for my "troubles" I was really tempted to buy $10K more, but CSR manager was starting to get irritated at how much cash they were giving me.

Ended up with $700 in Safeway gift cards for $7K in gc purchases - purchases I was going to make anyway. ^

I tried at a different Safeway and they made me do individual transactions for $100 gcs - a royal PITA. Then found out the coupons expired in ~2 weeks on July 7. Then found out they couldn't stack. Not worth the trouble.
You've found a gold mine.