FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TopCashBack: Discussion, No Referrals
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:00 am
MClab

Programs: vi, PuTTY, XFE
Originally Posted by jackal
I did some experimenting and realized that my settings in Chrome and Firefox to disallow third-party cookies was causing the failure.

I ensured all cookie options were turned on in IE (a browser I otherwise never use) and then proceeded to use IE for all TCB purchases. To date, I have not had a failure to track among 42 subsequent purchases. To anyone experiencing failures to track, I'd suggest ensuring third-party cookies are enabled. And if you've previously visited a site that you are then later purchasing on through a CB portal, based on some previous experience I've had with Commission Junction, it is often necessary to either delete a site's cookies or close the browser completely and relaunch it before clicking to a site through the portal to ensure the session cookies are removed and the site can properly set a cookie to track the CB portal referral. That's why using a different browser that you only use for CB purchases is often a good idea--in fact, I usually do all my research on hotels.com or Hotwire or whatever in Chrome, and then when I've found what I want to book, I open IE, use the TCB link, and enter the info to go straight to booking.
Yours was a better detailed response than what I initially posted earlier in the thread.

Originally Posted by MClab
I usually recommend a step or two further for convenience. Have a popular browser you do not use regularly assigned as your cash back browser. Keep it updated and clear all its browser cache and cookies before any cash back related shopping. Have any security/firewall/adware software enabled ignore that browser's use or temporarily disable security/firewall/adware software when making a cash back purchase.

A better option I've found is having a minimal virtual machine I use for cash back shopping purposes only. The VM is set by default to delete any system changes on close, so once I am done shopping I just shut it off and it goes back to the baseline I set up for shopping.
By default, IE has third-party cookies turned on. To adjust those settings, go to Internet Options, Privacy, and Advanced.

Firefox and Chrome both have third-party cookie support, but it can sometimes be turned off by default depending on the browser version or changed due to some extensions.

Here's where in each application to make the appropriate changes

Disable third-party cookies in Firefox to stop some types of tracking by advertisers

Manage your cookies and site data in Chrome

But I stick with your advice which I echoed earlier in the thread - pick a browser that you don't regularly use, set it up correctly, and only use it for cash back related shopping. IE is a good choice certainly since most people no longer use it for their daily browsing.

Or the virtual machine route works well too if you're a more savvy user.

So that the crusader in this thread doesn't leap to any more conspiracy theories again, this is advice for ALL CASH BACK SITES.