FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cdubbyou
hi all,

Love the passion of this thread - It's great to see everyone is willing to share how best to maximise Asia Miles.

I will be relocating to HK soon and would like someone to recommend a credit card for me. I will be earning roughly 60K a month and do not currently have any HSBC HK or Citibank HK accounts. Furthermore, I am not a Cathay Asian Miles member, but I believe there could be some welcome benefits if I join as a new member along with my new credit card.

I am a CitiGold member in Australia, but do not know whether this will be beneficial to me if I continue to bank with Citibank HK.

Please recommend a credit card for me.

thanks in advance.
Just as a general recommendation - I do not recommend you do your normal banking with HSBC. They are very bureaucratic when you need something done - you have to always go into the branch rather than dealing with them over the phone. They also require you to use a physical dongle to do certain tasks over the internet. They also operate their own ATM network in HK (not connected to Jetco) which means there are always longer queues at their machines whereas Jetco machines (the network most other banks operate on) have much shorter queues with a greater choice of locations.

Citibank allows fee-free withdrawals when you travel overseas. Since you are from Australia, I think you will find this very valuable.