FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Du Louvre, Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:14 pm
honey4life12

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Hotel Du Louvre, Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

We didn't see any reviews on this property and wanted to be right next to the Louvre one of the nights, so we thought this was a good chance to check out what was happening. I also had an expiring Chase suite certificate that I needed to use by this next week. I wish that I had saved it for just about anywhere else.

The property's transition to a Hyatt does not seem to have gone well based on our short stay and observation. It's a category 5 because it's Paris and it's location next to the Louvre. Otherwise, I'd say it's a solid Cat 3 property or barely a Cat 4 property. If you had no other Hyatt option in Paris and were intent on a Hyatt, it'd serve your purpose for a short stay right now. When we're back in Paris, if there weren't other Hyatt options, I'd look to the Hilton/Starwood properties personally.

The service and interaction with staff was lackluster at best. Much more in line with a French/Paris attitude and that of a property that's not a PH, GH or HR. Thus, it's appropriately just a "Hyatt." It started when we arrived a few minutes after 3 pm and the room wasn't ready even though check in was at 3 pm. This wasn't a last minute reservation, and as a Diamond, a room not ready at the normal check in time for the run-of-the-mill guest, is a black mark in my opinion. Maybe it was an issue because there are not many suites and they were intent on putting us in one not ready. I'd assume you'd accommodate differently. Completely understandable for people arriving early in the morning from a flight, but we came up from Nice that afternoon. Short description of benefits and they forget to mention some of them. (I did see a sign that you could pay 35 euro to check into your room early subject to availability).

The room/suite we were in had a fantastic view of the Louvre and the surrounding courtyard and it was on the top level so it was quiet. Besides that, nothing else went for it. It's an extremely awkward floor space setup, the furniture had visible wear and tear, the walls were chipped, the wallpaper was peeling in part, the mirror edging in the bathroom showed rust, the seal on the glass separately the bathroom counters from the shower wasn't foolproof and water ran down both counters. In short, I assume Hyatt plans to remodel these rooms soon.

The breakfast area was cramped and so the selection was limited. There wasn't an omelet station nor any mention by the staff of ordering eggs or anything else. They also had a side table with glasses on it but didn't use the precious space for a water/juice refill area. Instead, the limited servers ran around filling and refilling water and juice for guests in the small glasses, in addition to everything else needed, and were woefully inadequate. At least in Nice and Cannes you could take care of this yourself. There were a few bread options, some fruit, cereal and some inedible prepared egg/bacon sort of items.

The concierge was responsive and friendly, so kudos there. And the property knew about the 4 pm checkout rule for Diamonds. Glad we tried it out to know not to go back and put out a data point for others looking at the Paris area.