FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:16 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Sunburn644
OK this may be the dumbest question I've asked in a while but I wanted to confirm that I've been rather stupid about this. For Award with partner arilines what is listed on the chart (http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp)
is for ONE WAY travel.
If I want to go to Europe and take Iberia (IB) on business class it would 50K to europe from North America and then another 50K miles to return from North America. Right? I thought it was only 50K roundtrip, which I believe I was incorrect about

TL;DR
So USA to Europe on partners business roundtrip is 100K miles? not 50k like I idiotically believed?
Yes, you are correct: it's 50K miles each way in Business using AA's one-way awards. However, depending on where you are starting from in the U.S. (and where you are going in Europe), you might be able to get the roundtrip for 90K miles -- or even 80K miles -- by using a distance-based Explorer award, which requires that you use at least two of AA's oneworld partners.