FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Istanbul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:05 pm
IggySD

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by tinnub
Thanks for the posts IggySD, we are scheduled to arrive June 22 and it seems dicey to stay at Hyatt. Please keep updating and do you know if private transport from IST to hotel would be beneficial?
The problem isn't so much that the taxi drivers won't come here, it's that they can't. A lot of the roads around Taksim have been barricaded so there's no access except on foot. Private transport would probably be able to keep you updated as to whether they could make it or not but a call to the hotel would probably do the same. A lot of the barricades had been removed this afternoon so a taxi probably could make it here again as of now.

I suspect you'll be able to make a comfortable decision in the next few days. Things have definitely escalated as of tonight, there are at least 5 times as many protesters out tonight as there were last night (I'd guess closer to 10x if not more). I think sending in the riot police this morning was a tipping point where things are either going to resolve peacefully or escalate to where you probably would want to book your stay elsewhere.