FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade question (Chances of Waitlisted Upgrades Clearing for my Flights?)
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:12 am
TexasRick

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
see below but NRT-SFO does not look good and BKK-NRT on S fare may be tough on a Sunday

expert mode is for booking and seeing fare classes -- need to do a dummy booking to see fare classes

the flight is presently F3J6R0 -- Sunday from BKK is a popular flight and probably the toughest day of the week for that route
This is a direct flight which means both legs must clear or neither will until day of travel
BKK-NRT is J7R0
NRT-SFO is F9J6R0 BUT business is 100% BOOKED (seatmap shows some unassigned but Flight Status is saying FULL --- J purchases will bump someone into F) -- so upgrading looks tough

if you are willing to clear just one and not the other, call and ask for the flight to be split into two separate segments

You can not see the waitlist until OLCI has start and you will find it under Flight Status. You will not be able to normally see Flight Status until 2 days before but there are some tricks allowing earlier viewing (but the waitlist is still not available until OLCI)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...u-viewing.html
The direct flight part is not accurate, though that was my understanding as well. I am on flight 838 the following Sunday, 23 June, and requested the same upgrade. My NRT-SFO segment has already cleared, but BKK-NRT is still waitlisted. I upgraded from a higher bucket than S, if that makes any difference.