FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:26 pm
skitch23

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
Thanks a million! So if I cancel the card before the annual fee hits (in close to 12 months), but I haven't used the miles yet, the miles are still mine to keep even if I haven't used them yet as long as the DM account is still active? Is this typically true of most cards in general or does it vary? Thanks again!
It varies between cards.... general rule of thumb is that if you are earning points/miles with a co-branded card (ie Citi HHonors, Barclays US Airways MC, Chase Hyatt) the points/miles automatically get transferred to their respected programs and they are yours to keep even if you cancel the credit card as long as your program acct remains active.

If you are using a card with a proprietary points system (ie Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi Thank You Points), you will need to use or transfer your points before cancelling the card...otherwise *poof* they're gone!

There are lots of threads on here about transferring points to other programs once you get to that point.

PS - Welcome to FT!