FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)
Old May 31, 2013, 2:03 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
+1.

Any unpublished(or published) offer can be expired at any time.
If the offere is expired and the application is still at the middle of the process, you may get just denial for "the program change" aka "the offer is expired".
Happened to me in 2011, I applied for the 75K "business" card.
I waited about a week then I called. Submitted additinal docs but it was too late.
If I had called citi immediately, I would have gotten approved.
So this may only happen to business cards and 1st time applicants who may need to submit additional docs.
And, of course, we've seen a decline in the offers since the peak of 100K (to 75K to 50K and now this).

I think there are a couple of possibilities at work here:
1) Maybe the Citi/AA relationship isn't as tight as many have thought, and Citi's decided to take some preemptive action; this might not be as crazy as some of the bloggers have thought since Dougie had his relationship with Barclays and especially since some recent Barclays moves indicate they'd like to make a bigger splash with points cards;
2) Everybody's taking their breath before the final steps are completed in the US/AA merger--with the possibility that when complete, we see a bigger, better offer than we've seen for awhile to introduce the new [Barclays/Citi]/AA card this fall or winter.
The move certainly makes it more difficult to guess whether to make another Citi/AA or Barclays/US app at this time--I've been holding off on Citi/AA while getting ready to do another Barclays/US on the belief that the relationship with Barclays is going away so might as well get that card now, and holding off on Citi on the guess that Citi will hold onto its (roughly) 18 month rule, meaning that an app now might wash out an opportunity to apply for a bigger offer later.

Of course, from the UA/CO merger, we know that getting a UA and CO card at just the right times didn't preclude getting certain UA cards after the merger--further muddying the picture.

As it is, I've got tons of US and AA miles so I might just stay on the sidelines for awhile.