FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAL 1Q 2013 call/results - Thursday 4/25/13
Old May 29, 2013, 7:43 pm
halls120
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mitchmu
For one thing, publicly calling your most frequent flyers "over-entitled" is indicative of both the hostility and the amateurish nature of this team.

It's fine for them to think we're over-entitled, it's fine for them to make decisions that I think are stupid in response to that belief.

But, for an executive to enter a public forum and, in that forum, declare that his customers are over-entitled - that betrays both inexperience and unprofessionalism and a sense of hostility.
When I look back at the last two years - screwing up a perfectly workable boarding process, exchanging Starbucks for brown swill they didn't even bother testing in flight before rolling it out, the 3/12 PSS debacle, the too-early cross-fleeting and crew shortages leading to abysmal operational performance - none of those more substantive screw-ups match the public relations disaster of publicly trashing your customer base. That is what makes me laugh out loud when I read the suggestion that UA has a "savvy" management team.

Maybe if all you do is look at the balance sheet in the short run, that label makes sense. The AA and DL management teams must be counting their blessings these days.....

Look, I hope this management team succeeds. I really do. I still fly UA when it makes sense to do so, and most of the time, on those flights I have an enjoyable trip. But the days of 1999-2011, the days when I went out of my way to fly UA - those days are over. Since Jeff only values me as a single transaction customer, I return the favor.

Last edited by halls120; May 29, 2013 at 7:57 pm