FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A non-upgrade upgrade at Radisson Blu Champs Élysées
Old May 29, 2013, 2:37 pm
PokerHammy

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by RTW1
It's a rather common practice to upgrade golds to a business room, but almost never with breakfast included.....
Seems like bad communication at checkin or maybe you made the assumption that breakfast was included?
Yes it was bad staff communication and no assumption. In fact I'd asked twice as I knew golds do not have breakfast benefit. Just didn't know that an "upgrade" would not include all that's listed in their BC ad in the room. (I usually stay at Hyatts and their upgrade to club level includes the lounge access.) There would be no issue at all today if the hotel wants to only give the customer the bed type they had reserved originally then they should 1) not call it an upgrade, 2) not have the staff list benefits of the upgrade like breakfast, movie, etc., and 3) take away the BC ad in the room.

I quite like the yummy Eric Kayser pastries I got today and I don't miss hotel breakfasts at all. What I took offense are the rudeness the staff displayed and how badly they dealt with a situation that they could've easily diffused with a simple sincere apology of miscommunication, instead of treating me like a beggar for something I didn't deserve. And I can tell rudeness vs. regular city people attitude from visiting Paris and New York frequently. I also know that rooms in Paris are small (although it was quite spacious at the Hilton ADT), it's just hard to imagine a standard room being even smaller.

Update: We returned to the hotel after all day being out and another front desk agent somehow recognized me and apologized for this morning's confusion. He was friendly and stated that tomorrow's breakfast would be included. Although I will probably pass up on the offer with the bad taste I still have from this morning. Moving to Park Hyatt tomorrow anyway. Chose this hotel for the location, but will not return with the staff attitudes here.