FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:32 pm
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by gv111
I like your style. Live free or die! LOL!
indeed! although that is New Hampshire's Motto and I am from MA. lol

Originally Posted by Preacher7
I got the new earning structure mailing too. Looks like we have till July 28 to still get 5X. At least this is more like Amex, which at least gives a heads up to the new earning structure. Looks like it will be a spending spree for the next 2 months!
I did not yet get this notice. Is it one of those little gray pamphlets they mail out? If so, are you saying it affects the 5x Citi TY preferred card (like the one I just got) that people have been nabbed here for using excessively for the past several months? I guess if they have new TCs now capping the 5x world, that is actually a good thing, in that a limit has been set, meaning we can actually push right up to that limit and now have even more recourse to go and get it!

Originally Posted by thehawk75
He could always take the next 3 weeks off then push through all that spend in the 4th week, just before the statement closes... if he's still in business at that time.
I will be away most of July but can burn thru some serious spend in June and into the first week of July as well. I should be back home 6 days before my July statement cuts meaning I could also do some serious damage then as well lol

Originally Posted by lacuadra
Not sure why you were offended. That was not my intention. As you can see, my number of posts is very low and I am a new member, even though I registered a while back.

This is all new territory for me and I am trying to learn all the "tricks" and "creative" ways people use. For most people, paying with GC is odd and very unusual. If a contractor tells me he prefers gift cards, I would think it twice about using his service. Or like buying a TV with gift cards, that I know I lose some warranty protection.

I am going to ask a few questions to other members. I want to play the game too, but want to do this smartly. The fact that Citi closes accounts and ruins your credit options is kind of scary (not that I like Citi that much anyway). So y'all bear with me.
Forgive me if I did not understand. No worry then. Welcome to this forum and thread too.

My contractors are people I know and have known for a long time. I know what you mean now but actually in my case I showed THEM this method. Some of them actually got into some points related things themselves because they use the same CCs to buy things they need for work. For example I taught one builder that he could use a XX earning CC to buy Lowes and HD gc at stores that give bonuses. He only buys certain stock there because those stores have limits for what the real pros use, but he does use them. This has made or saved him money, and thus has done the same for me.

Anyway feel free to ask away. Mostly the tricks or creative moves people use in FT and in things like Citi TY are to find ways to maximize spend and reduce cost. Buying and using GCs can accomplish this.