FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:27 pm
DallasEsq

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by swintec
The terms that state if your account is closed for any reason, any TYP that are unredeemed will become unavailable and forfeited.

Dont get me wrong, for those who had checks stopped after redemption, I think there is a case to be made if one wants to pursue.
Not having looked over the full T&C (I am a Citi card holder but do not do manufactured spend), it isn't so clear they can do this even if it is in the T&C.

I'll try to explain this as "non-legally" as possible. Citi advertises TYP as something that is "earned." Unlike a gift, you usually have to do something to "earn" a benefit. Citi could have advertised TYP as such:

"We may gift you 5x TYP for drug store purchases at our discretion" (which is in fact what they are doing)

Instead, the benefit is advertised as: "Earn 5x TYP for drug store purchases"

Does the latter statement induce more spend than the former? I would think so, again because the idea of earning something makes it yours. So I'd say there is a case to be made when you are told you are earning something based on spending, when actually you are not.