FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can you still book into late 2014/2015 with points or did they fix it?
Old May 27, 2013, 11:11 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by some dude
Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Hilton may choose to not be as generous considering how steep the devaluation was.
Exactly my points. The situation is not even similar except the time span due to the HUGE point increases this time.

Originally Posted by whimike
All the data is there in the link I provided and you can answer your own questions if you had clicked and read.

The HHonors program didn't start in March 2013. People in years past have booked over a year in advance, and have completed stays without issue. No time warm machine needed.
The data points reported was for 2012 booking stay beyond a year in 2013.

There was no major devaluation in that example.

We are in 2013 - 2014 period when the devaluation is HUGE.

It is good the hotels sent back email confirmations saying they would honor it. However if they eat their words and just say, "Sorry, we have made a mistake, some employees do not know the policy and mistakenly send you this. We are terribly sorry, but we cannot honor it." when you are standing at the counter of KS, or Maldives, you cannot expect any help from HHonor.

It is a calculated risk which very much depends on WHERE you are going.

To a city like Tokyo or Singapore or Hong Kong, no big deal if the hotel decides not to honor it even it has said it would a year ago. Substitutes are easy to find, especially if you need a cheaper one because you never are prepared to shell out the actual cash for that category of hotels.

To a remote location like KS, Maldives, French Polynesia etc, that can present some very serious issue.

Personally I want a trip that has least unexpected disruption, and do not want to be worried about if the email from 14 months ago would still be honored by the current hotel management as I think HHonor would not step in to help me out should the hotel decides not to honor it because they could not get HHonor to pay them, or at least not pay at then current level.

To each their own.

Last edited by Happy; May 27, 2013 at 11:16 am