FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Immigration Exit Tracking
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2013, 2:50 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Firebug4
OK. but talk about mission creep and expansion. We went from Immigration exit controls to unpaid child support.

Immigration exit controls have been on the books for literally decades and are no closer to being implemented now then they were when they were added to the INA. Even so, the do not depart sections are clearly delineated with procedures for representation and appeal. I would chose to not waste energy on what hypothetically could happen but hasn't for decades and focus on what is happening right now.

FB
OK, I yield, you're 100% right. Laws and protections are in place and they can and will never be changed or misapplied. There's absolutely no precedent for it. If something hasn't happened before, there's no reason to think it ever might happen in the future. (I thought similar thinking may have played a role in our nation being unprepared for 9-11, but that has nothing to do with exit controls that have never been enforced, ergo, there's no reason to believe they ever will be enforced - because they never have been before...)

Limiting a US citizen's right to get a passport to be able to exit the country has absolutely nothing to do with any restrictions that currently exist or might ever exist in the future on someone's right to exit the country.