FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013, 7:12 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
jlemon, I think the answer above would apply to question number 5 rather (service to Kansas City) rather than question 3 (service to Dallas). Also, I seem to recall (but don't hold me to this...) that Central didn't convert its 240s into 600s until 1965. If that is true, the aircraft used in 1963 would likely be a CVR-240.

Okay - how about 16?

By the way, I now have a renewed confidence towards correctly answering question 5:

5) It's now the summer of 1967 and you are back in Pueblo (PUB). You need to travel to Kansas City (MKC). You are informed there is no nonstop service but there is a direct, no change of plane flight. What airline will you be flying on? Also identify the equipment flown on the route.

It was Central Airlines using a Convair 600 which had been converted from a Convair 240 with the installation of the illustrious Rolls-Royce Dart turboprop engines. The routing was Denver (DEN) - Pueblo (PUB) - Garden City (GCK) - Great Bend (GBD) - Hutchinson (HUT) - Kansas City (MKC).
Whoops! My apologies! I misread your answer and thought you were responding to 5) and not 3)!

BTW, Central was operating the Convair 600 in 1967 which was the same year they were acquired by the original Frontier which in turn continued to operate the CV-600s for a time until they were retired while FL's Convair 580s continued to soldier on for quite some time.....

So let's back up here......

3) No, it was not Central flying direct service from PUB to DAL in 1963. It was another airline. And here's a hint: the aircraft was a turboprop.

4) There were more than 16 first class seats on board TTa's DC-9s at this time. Please guess again!