FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)
Old May 17, 2013, 3:07 am
DCBob

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
Me too. I bought my first-ever VR card today. ^ Actually, it's a CVS that's near my workplace - I go there frequently or to buy items, greeting cards and misc items. For the longest time (basically, ever since VR was introduced), those cards are not in stock. I was there to buy a Father's Day greeting card and wanted to grab a gift card to go along with it when lo and behold, I located a stack of vanilla reload cards! I was surprised.

I plucked out one from the stack and brought it to the cashier, not confident if the transaction will be declined (happened the first time I tried it some weeks ago at another CVS). This time, it worked like a charm! Loading it to BB was pretty easy too.

Don't think I will abuse it and will only buy what I need when I need it (for petty bills here and there, i.e. regular uses, and not so much for manufactured spend). I have no illusion that VR supply will be available when I go there next time, but oh well. I just wanted to try it out having heard so much about VR on the blog-o-sphere.
I now have a photo of a VR prepaid card on my phone and show it to one of the cashiers at CVS whenever I can't find them in the gift card/prepaid card racks. Half the time, the cashier knows where they are and they are NOT on the rack. The rest of the time, they are either sold out or are not carried by that store ("we've never carried those at our store"). YMMV.