FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Answer to a FAQ: How much do blogs get paid for affiliate link conversions?
Old May 16, 2013, 12:10 pm
freeloader

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Almost enough to make you want to start a points and miles blog and get in on the gold (card) rush, innit!?

What is BACon!?
All the Boarding Area bloggers flew in the colorado for a conference and social gathering. from what i pieced together, there were some CC presentations from the affliate channels as well

seems like i get more cynical of the blog industry by the day. its fine that they capitalize it, whatever. Certain bloggers can call me one of the "angries" but whatever. On FT, people give advice with expecting anything in return, and the advice is generally in the best interest of the person who asked for it. A lot of bloggers peddle information that benefits them - and then act altruistic for providing it!

The worst part is the info is either misleading or not in the best interest of the receiving party. i left a comment on this post, but it never made it on the article:

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2013/...at-381-12.html

"This week we’re showing you how a family of 4 can get 5 nights in Maui for just $381.12." Recommendation? AMEX Gold rewards business card (Avios)... what's not clear in the article is that this advice ONLY works if you are traveling from LA, and LA only. anywhere else, it will cost you much more - either in points or dollars. So this recommendation is really only for the 5% of us who live close to LAX.

unless you are familar with the AVIOS program (which most "rookies" aren't), its pretty easy to think that this plan would work for anyone. But it wont, at least not as advertised

Closing line

"With just 4 credit cards, it is entirely possible for a family of 4 to travel to Maui with minimal out-of-pocket cost." right - IF you live in LA... kind of a big if there