FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]
Old May 14, 2013, 11:09 am
susiesan

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by mia
If American Express sees this it can be rewarded with a retention bonus, rather than a new account bonus. American Express is a mass market company. I think it is unrealistic to expect them to waive the published requirements for a new account bonus based on your individual history.
I have have never been offered a retention bonus each time a card comes up for renewal. I call and ask each time. In the past, when it is turned down I would cancel the card, wait for the next bonus offer, and open up a new card account. I have them spaced apart so that I always have had at least 1 AX card open to retain my MR points. Looks like this won't work anymore, that one has to transfer the MR points, close the account, wait 12 months of being AX free with no AX card use and then open new cards and start the process all over again.

I do not think it unrealistic for a company to take individual looks at customer history in making business decisions. That is what companies with good customer service do. That's what I do in my business. I don't lump all of my customers together under one policy.

I think it would be more cost effective for AX to offer something to longtime customers to keep them rather than have them put a year's worth of business spending on a competitor's card.