FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Modest Theory of Why Upgrades Became More Difficult to Obtain After the Merger
Old May 14, 2013, 8:35 am
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fastair
This is tongue in cheek, so take it in the light hearted way it is intended. Bigger route network allows MRs/segment runners more legs that they wouldn't have had before, so instead of using the network for an efficient routing, it allows a few to suck up more upgrades on flights they never would have been on in the past. Yesterday, I worked an ORD-CLE flight and got a call from our connection planner that we were going to be holding a few min for a few connections coming in on a IAH-ORD flight (it made up time and the people were directed quickly to us, so we didn't end up delaying the flight) and my 1st thought was "Aren't there plenty of IAH-CLE non-stop flight options without having to fly thru ORD?!?!"
As noted, I'm sure the price is a lot cheaper. I see multiple RJs on that route too - maybe they weren't willing to take that ride.

MRs are a needle in a very big haystack, let's not put the blame on them.