FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Modest Theory of Why Upgrades Became More Difficult to Obtain After the Merger
Old May 14, 2013, 7:58 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by fastair
This is tongue in cheek, so take it in the light hearted way it is intended. Bigger route network allows MRs/segment runners more legs that they wouldn't have had before, so instead of using the network for an efficient routing, it allows a few to suck up more upgrades on flights they never would have been on in the past. Yesterday, I worked an ORD-CLE flight and got a call from our connection planner that we were going to be holding a few min for a few connections coming in on a IAH-ORD flight (it made up time and the people were directed quickly to us, so we didn't end up delaying the flight) and my 1st thought was "Aren't there plenty of IAH-CLE non-stop flight options without having to fly thru ORD?!?!"
I totally appreciate that this is tongue-in-cheek. But... I can't help responding in a partially serious way -- not to the MR part (which I agree with in the same tongue-in-cheek way; I've certainly enjoyed that aspect of the new route network!), but to the IAH-CLE bit.

I've noticed that direct hub-to-hub flights are often really expensive. CO always priced IAH-EWR this way, but I'm finding that in a lot of cases, the lower fare classes simply aren't published on hub-to-hub routings. I can get an L fare on IAH-CLE-SYR, or on IAH-ORD-CLE, but if I want the direct IAH-CLE it's a Q or M fare (for example).

Seems to be a classic example of price discrimination (biz travelers will pay extra for direct flights), but it does put price-conscious flyers in weird routings.