FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggested Protocol to try and swap seats with another passenger?
Old May 11, 2013, 4:47 am
fripperies

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
I find it strange that people don't feel comfortable refusing. Someone asks you a question, you have the option to answer either yes or no. It would be silly to answer and then grumble about it to yourself after.

No harm in asking, no harm in declining. Any adult should be able to do either with no fuss and no hard feelings.
Let me illustrate with an example. On a LH flight to BOM my wife and were seated together in 1A/D. Second honeymoon, first trip to India, first time in business class together, you get the picture. A younger couple, recently married, were behind us, one in row 2, another in row 3. The FA asked us to swap with them so they could sit together. We declined, very graciously I thought, and even explained why we had reserved those particular seats. No attitude on our part, I'm sure of it. Even so, she reported this to the other couple very loudly, making it obvious whose "side" she was one (I'm sorry, they're refusing to budge, I really feel for you, but you get people like that ... etc.). Then we got icy treatment from her for the duration and grumbles from behind. Made for a pretty unpleasant flight.

That's why "no harm in asking, no harm in declining" is easier said than done, and why I maintain you should never ask unless there's a compelling reason.

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The why matters to me as well. Being asked to sacrifice 64K and move to 64B just so a couple can sit together on a night flight? No chance.

Being asked to move so a couple can sit together as the wife is feeling very unwell and wants someone with her? I moved in a micro second.
Agree 100%. The distinction between want and need is crucial.