FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL
Old May 8, 2013, 11:14 pm
GW McLintock
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by MS02113
I suppose. It seems odd, though, that Delta would want to get into the business of operating for-profit bars that are essentially open to the general public. Wouldn't it be simpler to license the Delta brand to a third party that leases, builds, and operates the club spaces? Why not open all-you-can-drink Delta lounges outside airports? Stock the bar and keep that SoHo pop-up open year round?

Separately, perhaps someone in the food service industry can speak to wholesale liquor prices? Can Gordon's really be that much cheaper than Tanqueray? What about Gordon's vs. Skyy vs., say, Tito's? I understand that these aren't all Diageo brands, which seems to be Delta/Sodexo's vendor of choice.
I think it's sorta weird that everyone's getting so worked up about the gin. At the bar where I worked last summer (a very upscale private club and restaurant), we actually charged more for Gordon's than we did for Tanqueray. I prefer Gordon's, personally. I don't recall what the wholesale prices were but they were quite similar. Tito's though is quite expensive, even at wholesale prices.

-J.