FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL
Old May 8, 2013, 10:25 pm
NapaPatTours

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by MS02113
Somehow Delta responded to the (outsize?) outrage over "fake" Sky Club cheese—one of FTers' few victories in recent years, by my count. While I don't much care about the cheese, I'm pretty worked up about the prospect of cheap booze.

I no longer pay for membership as a DM, so I can't really vote with my wallet (apart from switching carriers, a step I'm not yet willing to take).

But maybe if we whine enough, Delta will reconsider?
The trouble is, we who pay for the SC are no longer the profit core; It's the dozens of $25 transactions per day. ...and any leisure traveler, with the most basic of math skills can run the following cost/benefit: If one buys 3 doubles at Chili’s at $10 (guessing here, but it seems a reasonable cost inc tip), that’s a total of $5 more than SC entry, and he/she can long-pour all day long in the SC. To this traveler, any well pour is just as good as the next, so the SC offers a better value, and the switch to Gordon’s is still better than the well at the avg airport bar.

Since DL is now focused on the Amex/$25 entry as a growth opportunity, these folks collectively have more economic clout than we who pay the annual fee.