FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back Into Action, Back to the Back – To Chicago with AA and BA - with a big surprise
Old May 2, 2013, 1:59 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Well, lets wrap this all up, draw some conclusions and comment.

The British Airways First Lounge - A LOT better than before. The staff seemed more awake and willing to help, whilst the F Lounge retained its peace and quiet.

The AA FlAAgship Lounge (LHR) - Whilst it's a smaller lounge than the BA Lounge, the breakfast service was tightly focused with good service with good facilities.

American Airlines Transatlantic - it proves that the right seat - even in economy - it can make a big difference. The service was pretty reasonable if uninspired, but it did the job getting from point A to point B. For those of you who like quick immigration (or having a quick service inflight) - seating in the front section of Economy is a must.

The Hyatt Regency O'Hare - A VERY Strong performance by the team at the Hyatt Regency again. Top notch service, new smellies and a well maintained room. Apart from my usual moan about WiFi in the conference area, not much to criticise about at all.

The AA AAdmirals Clubs - Functional, and did the job. At least the WiFi was up to speed and Vodka seemed pretty good. Decent hiking boots are needed if you get a gate change though and you need to switch lounge.

American Eagle - For a short run, an impressive service (even addressed by name throughout which BA and AA mainline didn't even do). It's making me warm up to doing domestic runs in the USA - even down the back of the plane.

Toronto Airport - Bring me the head of the designer of Toronto T3 who can't seem to work out that people want to make international connections there, and I'll show him what the heck it's all about when you're on an increasingly tight connection.

British Airways Galleries Lounge Toronto - A reasonably sized lounge with lovely agents. And I'll remember it as the home of my first BA opup.

British Airways Club World on the top deck of a 747 - Well, if I ignore the kids who were one row infront of me, it was a great flight. Food and service was appropriate to the length of flight, whilst the seat was excellent. And yes, I can see why people pay out £1000's for a Club World seat.... and one day... I may do so again.

Whilst the flights may had been expensive this trip, I actually felt like I got value for money both in terms of service and enjoyment. Everything actually was rather good... which makes a very nice change for one of these TATL trips where I end up moaning about things constantly. The OpUp of course was the icing on the cake that turned a weekend around for me.

Will this last into the Autumn when I again take to the air to do a trip to Chicago? I don't know. There is only one way to find out though....

And how did the presentation go? Very well actually... And besides, most of you won’t want to hear about how to take better pictures at home with an alternative twist. Honestly. You don't. The things I can do with a torch and crappy pink Fujifilm camera would make some cry in amazement and wonder.

That and the following lines went down well:
  • The best camera you have is the one that is in your hand - Chase Jarvis

• It’s better to have a blurry photo of something that you want rather than having photos of something that you don’t want - Kai Wong, Digital Rev
  • Make it black and white and almost anything can pass for art - Kevincm

When in doubt - Black and White. Covers all sins

The fact I do it differently is completely besides the point... (or drop me a mail at [email protected] and I'll see what I can dig up that's safe... ish.)

That’s your lot for this trip. But wait! There's more to come!

There’s another trip coming up that should provide amusement as I head back to the United States of America - and this time to Denver and Beyond. Tune in for “Getting the BAcon in with Aer Lingus and British Airways” coming... sometime soon.

Your comments and feedback are welcome as always.

My Previous Trip Reports

LHR-BRU-LHR ... or "How do you burn a £50 BMI voucher without too much pain?"
MAN-ORD on BMI (29/10 ... or Did Kevin Make it to ORD?)
Kevin goes for a little mileage run on UA - ORD/CHM/IAD/EWR/ORD
ORD-MAN in BMI Premium Economy (with Pictures)
Kevin’s American Adventure – MAN-ORD-SEA-ORD-MAN (4 flights, 2 weeks) in Y..
ORD - MAN in BMI Premium Economy: How hard can a PE product drop? (also random moans)
LHR-PHL-SEA, SEA-PHX-ORD, ORD-PHL-LHR - In Y, Come and be scared with US!
LHR-SFO-LHR - If you're going to San Francisco - SFO MegaDO Trip report
Gold Run - Mr Kevincm goes to Washington with EI and US
Long Haul Commuter Run - LHR-IAD-ORD and back with UA
Saying Goodbye to a Friend - Travelling for the wrong reasons - LHR-PHL with UA (Also on GhettoIFE.com - expanded)
The BA Y+/Y Class Long Haul Experience LHR-BKK/SIN-SYD and back on a bargain fare (Also on GhettoIFE.com -Expanded)
The Autumn Run - Mixing Business with Pleasure (C/F/Y adventures with UA and US) (Also on GhettoIFE.com -Expanded)
Long Way Home - The Spring Commute with UA and CO (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Atlanta or Bust (and Frankfurt too!) - (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Drinks in Belfast with the BMI Board with LCC’s - (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Kevin get’s a bit of Seoul - First and Business class with Asiana Airlines and Thai to Seoul and Hong Kong (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Mixed Classes and Infinite/Madness: The Autumn Run with United - LHR-ORD-LAS-LAX-SFO-DEN-LHR - Also on GhettoIFE.com - expanded
Gold Run 2: Blame Canada! It's Only A Mileage Run anyway! (To YVR with AC, CO, BD..) also on Also on GhettoIFE.com - expanded
Re-Creating a Photo - To New York with United, British Airways and BMI Baby (Also on GhettoIFE.com)
Going the Canadian Way: To Chicago with Air Canada (LHR-YYZ-ORD in Y) (also on GhettoIFE.com)
SEN for £129? SEN Status Match Run with Swiss and Helvetic. (also on GhettoIFE.com)
Multimodal Mayhem with Coaches, Ferries, Brussels Airlines and Air Canada (also on GhettoIFE.com)
A Smooch of Chicago and a Kiss of DC – with United – LHR-ORD-IAD-LHR (also on GhettoIFE.com)
Narrow Minds and Narrow Bodies - To Denver with the New United, Aer Lingus and FlyBe (also on GhettoIFE.com)
Farewell Miles to Japan, Hong Kong and Seoul with ANA, Thai and Asiana with ANA's new 787 (also on GhettoIFE.com)
A Last Star Fling? To Chicago with United and Air Canada – LHR-IAD-ORD, ORD-YYZ-LHR? Exclusive to GhettoIFE!
Creating a Photo: Back to New York with British Airways and the A318 in CWLCY (also on GhettoIFE)
Behind the Scenes at London City Airport (also on GhettoIFE)
Different Airlines - Same Routes. To Chicago With AA and BA featuring Hurricane Sandy (Also on GhettoIFE)
Oh for the LOVE of Avios! To Hong Kong with Swiss and BA (also with much more stuff on GhettoIFE)

Last edited by Kevincm; May 2, 2013 at 2:31 pm Reason: That's all folks!