FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels/Resorts with Childcare for Infants?
Old May 1, 2013, 11:32 am
roknroll

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by juuceman
Mexican law prohibits children who are in diapers from using daycare facilities. The Rosewood and the Banyan Tree, both located in the Mayakoba resort in Playa Del Carmen, provide sitters from an in house rotation. We've used the sitters in both locations and been very happy with them. $15-20/hour, three hour minimum. They can also be flexible if you like, especially if they handle the sitting in house.
Are you sure about that? The Melia I mentioned in the OP has childcare/daycare services starting at 6 months. Our 14 mo old was there for a few hours each day (in diapers) and they had a changing table in the bathroom of the young kids room (6mo-4yr). I have read that the regulations for hotel childcare for kids that young are quite strict, which is a major reason that you don't see many kids clubs for under 4 years old, but Melia adheres to them all.

The thing I really liked about the Melia in PV was that the kids club during the day was free of charge, and open from 9 or 10 in the morning until around 4 or 5 in the evening. Sitters at night were extra, but only $12 an hour and it was the same people from the kids club during the day doing the sitting. We always paid extra though, since the people were so great and we felt bad that they had to stay so long. Our sitter, Lala, worked in the kids club from 8am until close, then worked elsewhere on the resort until 7pm, and if she was hired as a babysitter it was added on to that long day!

The Club Med properties with the baby care also looked great, but after reading into more it seems like it can be quite expensive. I think I remember reading it was $60 per day to have them in the kids club, and it had to be decided in advance and paid for the entire length of the stay (regardless of whether you used it every day or not).