FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:41 pm
mgcsinc

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jackal
Not encouraging re: being able to SDC flights on US ticket stock, even when only UA flights exist on the ticket.

I just tried to extend my stay in SFO (from the nonstop SFO-BWI later today to something tomorrow morning). G space was available, so I went to an agent in the SFO UC, as the website and iPhone app never did allow it.

For the second time in a row, now, I've had to explain the "new" SDC policy to the agents at the SFO T3 F club. Last time, the SFO UC agent insisted it was a 3-hour window (is that the PMUA policy?). This time, the agent claimed that the "Same-Day" part only meant until midnight. I tried to show her the text from united.com and even told her to look up GG SDC (she reacted with suspicion that I knew the code). She refused to believe it was a 24-hour window and finally called the helpdesk.

The helpdesk was not much help, either. The helpdesk agent told her that I had 24 hours from the time I booked the ticket to make any changes. I replied, "No, that's a completely separate policy. That's the flexible booking policy. This is the 'same-day change' policy." Finally, the helpdesk pointed out that it was on 037 ticket stock anyway, and at that point, I gave up and took my boarding pass back.

The agent then continued to try to argue that I couldn't SDC anyway and she would have to charge me a $200 change fee, and I finally said this is now the second time in a row I've encountered agents at this club who are unfamiliar with and won't honor this policy and that they needed to read up on the policies before leaving.

I might try again at the other UC or at the customer service desk when I get back to the airport for my flight in a couple of hours, but I'm not optimistic and will count it good fortune if I am successful. But at least if I can find someone who knows the SDC policy, I have a chance--but don't bother asking in the T3 F club at SFO, as they don't even believe SDC exists.

(Or maybe we should all go in and pester them to process SDCs until they finally get it...)
Strongly suggest changing strategies to a phone agent. IME, phone agents don't know that standby exists, and airport agents barely know what SDC is. It's just not in their respective domains. I think you'll have a higher likelihood of success over the phone, especially if you're willing to HUCA.