FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Food Service in Coach (It Would be Nice if They Announced the Menu Before Service)
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:27 am
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The crew didn't even really know what the Y meals were on 838 the other day; when the guy across the aisle from me asked what was in the "chicken" and "beef" the FAs were asking about, she said, "I dunno; it's beef and probably some kind of vegetables or something." (The beef was served with some rice noodles, which weren't that bad for a Y meal, though a very-undersized portion IMHO.)

Also, they really need to have a few extra vegetarian-friendly or similar meals available in Y on longhauls. On UA 838 the other day, just in the few seats around me, two pax's special request meals hadn't been loaded, and they were left eating the salad from the chicken meal, and a dinner roll. FAs said, "We already distributed the special orders we saw on the manifest; you have to confirm them 24 hours out." At least the FAs did bring the C dessert cheese plate to a few of the pax who'd lost out on their meals to give them something.

Why is it that UA seems to lose special meal requests so regularly? I've had three lost this year myself, two of which were indeed reconfirmed at T-24. If they didn't insist on having beef vs. chicken (how about also having a cheese pasta?), they'd be able to accommodate far more pax in the lost-request cases.