FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase MR Visa -- doesn't work in UK?
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:25 am
318i

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I agree with kar120c. I just received my C&S card last week and called Chase to inquire about it since I did not get the usual call this 800 number to activate card sticker.

They said the following:

1. Both chip and mag stripe work on card.
2. Card # does not change, so old card will continue to work (I will take it as a backup to the new card on my next trip to EU, just in case)
3. Call Chase with travel plans (countries and dates of travel) before traveling abroad. Having spent months overseas each year this is something that I have always done. But the next comment from the Chase CSR came as a surprise...
4. Especially for the UK as fraud is very high there. Your card will be blocked in the UK unless you have called and put UK on your travel list. She didn't say "might be blocked" she said "will be blocked".

Of course it sounds like the OP actually spoke to Chase while in the UK, so I would hope that Chase and/or the OP would have specifically checked that during their discussions, but perhaps it didn't occur to either of them to do so. If not, then I would highly recommend the OP call Chase back and verify that UK is on his travel list and that the dates for travel to the UK are correct, as it sounds like that may be what the issue is.

And FWIW, my Chase MR Premier Visa has worked flawlessly overseas for the past few years, ever since they got rid of the FX fees.

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, of course we called Chase and advised we would be out of the country. Yes, the card worked well in the States prior to our trip to London. Yes, I feel like I'm going mad with this card in my wallet.

Adding to the madness, it works in some places. The hotel, two department stores, and a restaurant near the Notting Hill Gate tube. Each time, we advised that we had issues but the swipe worked.

Striking out everywhere else, particularly on mobile readers that waiters carry (aside from the one in Notting Hill).

Another call to Chase found me speaking with a rep who vehemently argued that this was a merchant issue. Right. Fool me ten times, shame on Chase.

Canceling as soon as the bonus points post / sharing the experience widely.