FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Blue Cash Preferred (6% supermarket questions)
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:13 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
so this am was weird...

I checked my Amex accts and saw that I had over $790 in rewards $$ to spend. Nice. Consistent with how I have been plowing spend onto this thing too!. I do have only $2k spend limit on this card but I pay it off in rapid style format the moment Amex lets me.

So i go to use $775 of it to pay part of the bal and it comes back saying error cant do it now etc. I figure I will try later.

I come back later in the day and now Amex has updated and I can do a payment. I happen to notice there's now only $15+ left in rewards bal so I check history and it indicates my previous attempt to pay the $775 did not go thru but it's also not there!

Well I pay my bill via Amex to deduct from attached bank acct anyway and then I call Amex.

Amex says the $775 HAS credited and will show up in a few days as normal. Cant tell me why it didn't show online but she gives me a ref number and assurance it went through. Strange.

ok cool. I will have an overage but not really cuz i do plow thru spend on this card.

I then decided to ask the gal about the 6% and if there are limits, etc. She said yes, You can earn 6% Cb on the first $6k in this calendar year - so from jan 1. I have had the card active since last oct but now she says I have already earned over $2000 CB on this card YTD. AND YET, I have NOT according to what she can see, maxed my $6k spend. However, I know that on this card since the beginning of Jan, I spent over $37k, which makes the CB I have earned come out pretty much right on.

I figure she is not putting A with B so I thank her and quickly hang up. Now I gotta try to figure out: IS this thing going to end or not? I do hope not--there ARE fees for buying GCs at supermarkets and if earning 6% I can justify those in my plans, but if earning 1% I would rather know this BEFORE I go buy more of em.

thoughts welcome.

MM