FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First trip Abroad, want to see Asia
View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:00 pm
peteyhill

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Visas aren't a big deal but some of them can be a bit pricey.
Obscurity doesn't mean expensive in regards to flights, but obscurity does mean less flight options.

It kind of depends on what activities you like or want to see (scuba, beaches, temples, historical ruins, war history, jungle trekking, fishing, etc).

Thailand is a relatively easy place to start in Asia. Korean Air flies into Chiang Mai and is a tourist friendly town. There are a variety of guest houses and oftentimes they have their own day-tour booking agent. I usually aim for around 800 baht per night which is about $28 per night. There are many day trip type of activities around Chiang Mai. Those are nice as a single person because then you are in a group of other tourists. Then you can talk with those people and arrange to meet up at night to see some nightlife or just hangout at a bar.

I think at 7 days you will need to limit your stay to basically two places.

I'm sure some other posters will chime in with other recommendations.
I truly appreciate everybody's recommendations.

Couple of Questions:

1) I think that I'd like to see Chiang Mai or another easy to get to city in the north because it's so much different than some of the beach resort towns. Would two or three days suffice to see some temples, ruins, quick river cruise, etc?

2) I do want to go to the beach. If I flew to Phuket and then on to Chiang Mai and back, would I be missing out and full of regret for not visiting Bangkok? Would it be a better option to fly to Bangkok and then take a trip down to Pattaya so that at least I get to see a bit of the capital?

3) Are there less crowded beaches/islands/tourist areas in an easy trip from Phuket? Likewise for Bangkok instead of having to go to Pattaya? I'd like a place that is open to Westerner's but isn't only full of them if that makes sense. I want a place that's not just overrun with tourists.