FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HA day of flight switch from A330 to old 767
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:09 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Had booked a specific flight in First Class because it was an A330. I've flown this aircraft in F before on HA and really liked it.

To my shock when I boarded I saw it was an old un-refurbished 767. Uncomfortable old cramped seats. No AVOD (those "digeplayers" are awful, greasy, scratched and mine kept on freezing. Also you can't have a meal and watch at the same time.). Obviously no power outlets or USB ports (when this plane was built, anything like USB was something out of a science fiction novel). Ran out of power on my laptop in which I intended on doing work on.

Would've chosen DL where I have Gold Medallion status over HA where I have no status had I known this was going to be a flying dump. DL has flying dumps too, but at least I get status perks and earn MQMs and DL doesn't market/promise anything better, at least on their Hawaii flights.

I wrote to HA but so far have no received a response. What would be a fair compensation for this bait-and-switch?
Seriously?

You're not entitled to anything, but if they could be bothered to chase you they are certainly entitled to damages from you for defamation. "Flying dump" and 'bait and switch" are strong expressions for you to have used.

You booked a First Class flight from A to B on Hawaiian Airlines at a certain time.

They had to change the metal, but you still got your First Class flight from A to B at the right departure time, without a reroute or delay.

In practice, the substitution of aircraft meant that instead of a seat with 42 inch pitch and 18.5 inches of width on an A330 you got one with 42 inch pitch and 18.5 inches of width on a 767, with the same catering, same baggage allowance, same departure time and an on-time arrival.

The only thing that changed was that it was an aircraft without seatback AVOD so they gave you a complimentary Dig-e-player instead.

This is nothing. I booked a Business Class flight on a 777 with lie-flat beds last year and the schedule changed it to a 763 with recliners. It happens. I understand that you're disappointed and that you might have had a better experience on Delta, but you haven't been wronged, and you're not a victim. You accused often1 of seeming angry, but actually you're the one here who has been defaming people and claiming to be entitled to compensation, which you're clearly not entitled to at all.

Hawaiian certainly don't owe you compensation. If I was running their Customer service department I might offer you miles equal to what you would earn on a flight to a neighbour island, which would be around 100 miles. (Having said that, it's more likely that your letter has gone all around the customer service department in a less positive way).

Last edited by DCF; Apr 22, 2013 at 8:34 am