FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have questions about baggage compensation? Ask an exAir France/KLM compensation agent
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:56 pm
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ok986
Is there a rule, law or sth I can quite when requesting this? I remember traveling some time ago for a business trip, when my bag got lost, arrived next day with the morning flight (delay of 12 hrs) and KLM refused to reimburse "necessities" worth some 50 Euro [t-shirt, clean shirt and toiletries]. Argument - delivered within 24 hrs.
Yes, Article 19 of the Montreal Convention:
Originally Posted by Montreal Convention, Art 19
Article 19 - Delay
The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo. Nevertheless, the carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures.
This is the basis for claiming necessities that are immediately needed and that you must therefore purchase if your baggage is late and the airline does not offer them to you (usually, airlines arrange to make available packs of essential toiletries at baggage claim counters where you fill your PIR)..