FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:25 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by robsaw
My questions are:
- Can I have multiple itineraries on hold simulataneously?
- Do I need to call in to add the segments to an existing hold or can a hold be "edited" online?
- Are there any issues adding the segments as I've planned?

Any other advice on holds?
-You can have as many itineraries (not just awards) on hold at the same time as you like, provided the flights don't conflict. If you book multiple itineraries where it isn't possible for you to fly all of them, AA will usually automatically cancel some of them. You don't even have to have enough miles for all the awards you have on hold.

-You do need to call in to add segments. I don't believe itineraries on hold can be modified online.

I'm sure there is lots more advice we could offer on holds, but you might want to ask more questions to prompt it.

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Quick question: Is it technically a violation of terms if I use an award ticket to get a first class seat for a friend (and not charge a price) then swap seats for the flight? I have a paid biz ticket from DFW to SAO PAULO in biz - but want to fly in F.
I don't see how that's even a technical violation. You are entitled to use your miles for your friend and if the two of you want to swap seats, so what? You could also just use your miles plus copay to upgrade your ticket, but then you wouldn't have your friend coming along. If it was me, I'd do both: upgrade my paid ticket and use miles for my friend to come along in F. More fun that way.

Originally Posted by ps9a
Looked from today thru EOS for 2 seats in 3-class F (762) from SFO-JFK. If you don't want to fly on a Saturday, exactly 2 days have award availability... Dec 13 and Feb 11.
I've checked LAX-JFK and found very poor SAAver availability for F. Even the expanded EXP availability hasn't turned up anything.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Rather than trying to infer something from others' experiences across the ~3500-flight per day AA network, one could just set ExpertFlyer award alerts for relevant flights on useful dates. Intead of developing a generalization, one might actually score some awards that way.
If the goal is to get a sense of AA's practices in releasing award space last-minute on flights that have available inventory, it might be better to use EF's flight availability and award availability queries in chunks of six days (+/- 3). Setting EF alerts for award space is exceedingly tedious when one is flexible over a long period of time, compounded by destinations with multiple routes. (You'd have to set an award for every segment of every possible route over every possible day, and even then could easily get false positives because award space might be available on one segment but not a connecting one.) EF's award alerts are best when one is very constrained regarding days and routes.

Originally Posted by Explore
UA releases saver award space on many flights at T-3, unless they're completely sold out or very close. And on other flights at T-24. So AA doesn't do that?
From what I've seen, no, AA does not routinely do this (not to say they never do it, but I don't believe it's a routine practice).