FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:42 pm
BenH

Originally Posted by sgideons
Hey BenH,
I think a lot of us would appreciate it if you wouldn't make a bigger deal of this than you have to, especially vis-a-vis talking to corporate. It turns out that different stores have slightly different policies and slightly different implementations of those policies. It sounds like you've figured out the limits and capabilities of the stores near you, and you should definitely do whatever you need to to max out the capabilities of those stores. For example, did you know that you can load your BB at any register, you don't need to go to the Money Center? That's a great way to quickly load as many cards as you like to to your Bluebird, up to $1k per day, not just $400. It's not like Walmart cashiers spend a lot of time monitoring their customers' behavior, as long as you don't make a scene.

Just remember, this isn't about your right to hundreds of thousands of free miles and points. This is about some loopholes that happen to exist in a system designed explicitly to take advantage of the needy. I find this perspective helps when my schemes don't go exactly according to plan.

Thanks for the data points, confirming that Walmart registers do not accept more than 4 forms of payment under any circumstances. That should help other members avoid the same mistake.

—SGS
This is why I said I'm not sure my strategy yet...I obviously don't want to do something to endanger the method. I think it is possible to extract some policy info from corporate in terms of split-tender loads without resorting to letting them know we are talking GCs.

Also - if you actually read through my post (I know it was long) you'll see I know very well you can load at the register - and the problems it had as well.

Originally Posted by blr1222
@BenH

I had a similar experience with the kiosk at my Walmart today. Just kept getting the processing message no matter what I tried. I asked someone if they could reboot the machine, which they did, and it still didn't work after rebooting.

I would write to Walmart corporate about the broken machine, but I wouldn't tell them about the problems you had trying to load your gift cards. They are gift cards (pin based, but gift cards nonetheless) and technically you're not supposed to be able to load them. If you alert Walmart HQ or Bluebird that people are doing this, they may shut it down. Just a thought.
Like Serve - I can see nothing in the BB TOS that states that loading with a GC is not a valid thing to do. It allows for PIN based debit transactions. Nothing is stated that it has to be a card linked to a permanent bank account or anything. I'm curious as to why anyone thinks this is against any stated policy - please point me to it...

Last edited by BenH; Apr 17, 2013 at 8:48 pm