FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:28 am
djp98374

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by OliverB

Option for Day 1:

• Scenic Drive along Teton Park Road
• Check into JLL, Unpack, Explore, Relax, etc.
• Lunch at Jackson Lake Pioneer Grill
• Late Afternoon Boating on Jackson Lake
• Wildlife Viewing in the Gros Ventre Range

Option for Day #2:

• Canoeing on Jenny Lake at Daybreak - (Jenny Lake Boating Rental)
• Morning Hike along the Jenny Lake Loop Trail to Hidden Falls, Inspiration Point and Cascade Canyon - (Possibility to continue on to Lake Solitude?)
• Picnic Lunch
• Return to JL Lodge
• Relax, Dinner at Jenny Lake, Stargazing, etc.

Option for Day #3:

• Oxbow Bend and Signal Mountain at Dawn
• Early Morning Hike on Teton Crest Trail [OR] Lupine Meadows Trailhead from Moose Pond to Garnet Trail Junction, Surprise and Amphitheater Lakes [AND-OR] Hiking, Swimming, Canoeing, Portaging and Picnicing at String Lake and Leigh Lake via South String Lake and Leigh Lake Trailheads
• Sunset Drive along Antelope Flats
• Dinner at Mural Room, Jackson Lake Lodge

Option for Day #4:

• Daybreak at Schwebacher Landing
• Sunrise Float down the Snake River
• Hike the Death Canyon Trailhead from White Grass Ranger Station past Phelps Lake - (?)

We'll probably not want to leave too late on our final day at Jenny Lake as we'll want to get a head start into Yellowstone. I just wonder if 3 nights is enough in Teton?

I absolutely want to do the day hike from Jenny Lake to Cascade Canyon, and that seems like a full day. I would love to start it off at sunrise by paddling on Jenny Lake.

I definitely want to spend time at String and Leigh lakes too, and possibly do a canoe and short/easy portage along their trailheads.

I'm not sure whether the Teton Crest Trail is possible to do in a few hours, but I would like to explore the Lupine Meadows Trailhead if possible. I'm not sure which of these should be of highest priority for inspiring vistas and panoramas as well as wildlife sightings. The truth is that neither my wife or myself are very serious hikers, however I plan to train for several weeks before our trip and would like to do a few day or half-day hikes according to which are most rewarding and which take you the furthest into the backcountry.

I obviously have to do Schwabacher Landing and Oxbow at sunrise too.

Is this enough time to do all that should be done in Teton?

Also, is bear spray necessary and recommended for these day hikes?

Thanks!!
Bear spray is an abslute necessity if you do any of the longer hikes. You never know where a bear may pop up.

Im not sure on some of the up to date permit requirements for some of the trails. some of the trails you mentioned i backcountry permit required for day or overnight hikes.

I dont have a tail guide in front of me. i dont know enough about your hiking skills. What is easy or hard for you?

You need to flexible with plans. alot depends on the weather conditions. On a day with a high thunderstorm threat dont do Cascade Canyon or the teton trail hike. If you have a very cloudy morning pass on doing ox bow that AM.

In an AM you can go to OXbow for first sunlight (need to be there about 45 min before sunrise to claim a spot with a tripod for pics. Then stay there for about an hr after sunrise. From there go to Scwebacher for the rest of te AM till around 11:30am then go to lunch.

In the afternoons with the heating of day winds tend to get stronger on Jenny Lake. Away from the lake you arent getting as much wind. Jenny lake at sunrise you may be able to get a reflection in the water for a pic.

If you are planning on staying in Teton Village the first night then do the tram to Teton Crest trail and do that for the AM/early PM. have a late lunch in Teton Village then go to Jenny Lodge

day 2---
I would try to do Ox bow/Schwabacher on that AM after your first night at Jenny Lodge.
PM take the boat across Jenny Lake and do the Cascade crest trail or the other one from Jenny Lake into the Lupine meadows.

Day 3---Do the other trails around Jenny Lake and rent the boat like you mentioned to explore the other trails and nearby lakes including the falls trail. Have dinner around 5pm. Then in the evening go back to OxBow or Schwabacher looking for wildlife.

Day 4--- this day explore some of the other parts of the park with other small lakes. Between Day 3 and 4 in the evening---do one night in Ox Bow and the other in schwabacher....depending on where you hear where the wildlife is out.

Alternate option---flip day 1 and day 4. get acclimated first. Teton Crest trail has alot of ups and downs.

Day 5---Do Ox bow again in AM (not first light--9am), check out then have lunch someplace in Teton before going up to Yellowstone.

On all the nights--look to see if the park service has anything going on with Astonromy stuff/ or park ranger led things. Because of furloughs and budget cuts some of the se programs may be cut back so they are only happening on certain days (weekend peak visitor time of year) instead of every night.

Last edited by djp98374; Apr 17, 2013 at 11:47 am