FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Royal Pavilion, Barbados
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:02 am
qbrain

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by patty canuck
I booked the 60% off special rate for a stay this summer in one of the Beachfront Junior Suites. Am really looking forward to this now. I like the VIP treatment at customs associated with this too in addition to the butler service!

I have read on some other sites that there are somethings that you can ask at reservation such as asking for a exterior deck area with an awning, etc. Can anyone add to this advice?

Also what have those that have been there, how much have you tipped your butler(s)? Do you get 2 or 3 butlers a day? I understand that: 1) it depends on how much and what you used them for; and 2) local tipping customs in Barbados may be different from other locales.

I just want to make sure that whatever I do give that I do not make a faux-pas and insult the butler or other staff on tips.

Thanks!
PC
You don't need to ask for the deck area, that is what the beachfront room is. All the beachfronts are on the ground floor and walk out onto a deck that is maybe a couple feet elevated off the sand. What I liked about those rooms were the deck had several seating options and decent shade, but they lack privacy since they are on the ground level.

We didn't have a butler, but even if we did, I can't imagine what I would have ever asked him to do.

If you are used to Fairmont service, Royal Pavilion was kind of a shock. Service is different... imagine Hawaiian service levels being considered uptight. Very friendly, almost familiar interactions with the staff. Sometimes I considered the service too familiar, but not anything that would prevent me from going back. Just different.

The room, any room except a Villa, has got to be one of the best beach rooms ever if you want to be right on the beach. The rooms are just so close to the water, it is awesome.

Tipping, restaurants frequently include gratuity on the bill, otherwise tipping is similar to Canada.