View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:19 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Also, this thread seems to provide a different answer:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...are-miles.html
It doesn't, if you read all the way through.

Originally Posted by brunos
I suddenly remember that I once upgraded a HKG-LHR flight on a ticket originating in France and had no problem by telephone. What I had to do was to call my BAEC center (Bremen), but that did not mean that I could not upgrade.
But if you rang Bremen, then it seems to indicate that your BAEC account was based in France at the time? It certainly wasn't based in Hong Kong - as Bremen does not handle countries outside of Europe (It certainly would have been worth your while basing your account in France rather than in Hong Kong - you would have had far lower qualification thresholds). As such, that the ticket originated in/was issued in France and your account was also based in France means that you COULD upgrade it - it doesn't matter which sector(s) you upgrade, only the ticket itself has to be issued in the country where your account is based - the flight in question doesn't have to originate in that country.

(What you wouldn't have been able to do was to upgrade the ticket if it commenced in/was issued in Hong Kong, or if instead your BAEC account was based in Hong Kong at the time [and Bremen would not have dealt with you if it was]).

All I can say is that it is specifically excluded in the T&Cs:

Originally Posted by BA T&Cs
2 Upgrading using Avios Points is permitted on eligible British Airways fares only (Fare classes are: J, C, D, R, I, W, E, T, Y, B, H) and is not permitted on Bulk Tour (BT) or Inclusive Tour (IT) bookings made with a travel agent. Your travel agent will be able to advise if you have an eligible ticket to Upgrade using Avios. Upgrading using Avios Points is permitted where flights are sold as part of a package holiday or where flights and ground arrangements, such as prepaid hotels, cars, transfers and experiences, are booked directly with British Airways and paid for in the same transaction. Flights booked and paid for separately from any ground arrangements are also eligible for Upgrades using Avios Points for Upgrade. Upgrading using Avios Points for Upgrade can only be applied to bookings which are made in the member's Executive Club membership country. If you have booked ground arrangements with a travel agent and you upgrade the British Airways flights in the itinerary, BA will not be responsible for any subsequent changes or cancellations to the ground arrrangements. Any changes to the ground arrangements will need to be made directly with your travel agent.