FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:58 pm
OliverB

Okay, I did a bit more research online to plan for our Teton itinerary... I'm not sure how familiar you are with the trailheads and access routes, but I figure we have at least 3 full days in this part of the park and I find the planning a bit more difficult then Yellowstone since the sites are not as well defined as the obvious highlights in YNP.

Option for Day 1:

• Scenic Drive along Teton Park Road
• Check into JLL, Unpack, Explore, Relax, etc.
• Lunch at Jackson Lake Pioneer Grill
• Late Afternoon Boating on Jackson Lake
• Wildlife Viewing in the Gros Ventre Range

Option for Day #2:

• Canoeing on Jenny Lake at Daybreak - (Jenny Lake Boating Rental)
• Morning Hike along the Jenny Lake Loop Trail to Hidden Falls, Inspiration Point and Cascade Canyon - (Possibility to continue on to Lake Solitude?)
• Picnic Lunch
• Return to JL Lodge
• Relax, Dinner at Jenny Lake, Stargazing, etc.

Option for Day #3:

• Oxbow Bend and Signal Mountain at Dawn
• Early Morning Hike on Teton Crest Trail [OR] Lupine Meadows Trailhead from Moose Pond to Garnet Trail Junction, Surprise and Amphitheater Lakes [AND-OR] Hiking, Swimming, Canoeing, Portaging and Picnicing at String Lake and Leigh Lake via South String Lake and Leigh Lake Trailheads
• Sunset Drive along Antelope Flats
• Dinner at Mural Room, Jackson Lake Lodge

Option for Day #4:

• Daybreak at Schwebacher Landing
• Sunrise Float down the Snake River
• Hike the Death Canyon Trailhead from White Grass Ranger Station past Phelps Lake - (?)

We'll probably not want to leave too late on our final day at Jenny Lake as we'll want to get a head start into Yellowstone. I just wonder if 3 nights is enough in Teton?

I absolutely want to do the day hike from Jenny Lake to Cascade Canyon, and that seems like a full day. I would love to start it off at sunrise by paddling on Jenny Lake.

I definitely want to spend time at String and Leigh lakes too, and possibly do a canoe and short/easy portage along their trailheads.

I'm not sure whether the Teton Crest Trail is possible to do in a few hours, but I would like to explore the Lupine Meadows Trailhead if possible. I'm not sure which of these should be of highest priority for inspiring vistas and panoramas as well as wildlife sightings. The truth is that neither my wife or myself are very serious hikers, however I plan to train for several weeks before our trip and would like to do a few day or half-day hikes according to which are most rewarding and which take you the furthest into the backcountry.

I obviously have to do Schwabacher Landing and Oxbow at sunrise too.

Is this enough time to do all that should be done in Teton?

Also, is bear spray necessary and recommended for these day hikes?

Thanks!!