FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stupid UA Website Errors Out On Premier Instant Upgrades
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:38 am
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by star_world
I'm afraid it's very much the same debate - I can assure you that if the upgrade was processed automatically, the receipt would show a business or first class fare.
I understand that. And that's the problem, and it's more than semantics.

The deficiency in CO's system is that the receipt does not show the originally purchased fare.

Even on a CPU, if you don't keep a copy at time of purchase, and print one on day of departure, it shows you're in F with no evidence of what you really paid for.

The receipt does not show the reality of the transaction, which is atypical, because most other companies are capable of detailing the transaction accurately.

I got a free gallon of milk at Safeway the other day on a promotion (Buy X get a free gallon of milk). My receipt shows I bought X, and it shows the milk at $0.00. That is precisely what happened.

CO, OTOH, doesn't show the Y-Up or B-Up as a freebie. That's why they have this elaborate workaround process -- allow you to defer the upgrade, capture your documents, and then request the upgrade. Like so many things with CO's technology, it's yet another a hack to work around CO's lousy systems.

I just looked at my last instant-up fare on DL. It shows me in First with a fare basis in Coach and fare ladder detailing the Coach fare calculation. That is exactly what happened. I got First, but paid for Coach.

The onus should be on CO to properly detail the transaction in these cases. Your concern is not the lack of instant upgrade automation. Your concern is CO's lousy receipts.