FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS frequent flyer miles to Australia/NZ
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:27 pm
BarryAZ

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
I posted this (I thought on this thread). We had success booking 1st class on Cathay Air (160K miles x 2) -- LAX/HKG/BNE outbound and SYD/HKG/LAX return.

With your plan for October 2014 -- if you have 240K for two -- you could book a similar route -- and handle the booking in November. Alternatives to Cathay (which I've read will be a NICE experience albeit significantly longer flying time) would include Qantas (probably a tough get -- 220K business class for 2) or Delta (210K business class for 2), which you can search for online on the Alaska site and which seems to have increased availability, or Fiji Air (used to be Pacific Air) for 220K business class via Nadi.

A few other notes, Delta has moved to 777's for the long haul flight which should make for a more comfortable flight than they had in the past in business class, and Fiji will have shifted from older 747 jets to brand new A330's with lie flat seats as well.

With Delta and Fiji -- the window is 330 days (it's 360 for Cathay).

We were able to grab the outbound seats at 355 days and they were miraculously held for 28 days so that when I went to grab the return seats we were able to complete the deal.

One other consideration for you as you are in San Jose -- with Cathay you might be able to arrange SFO/HKG/Sydney and save the flight down to LAX.

Originally Posted by mjm1
Curious about your success in using AS miles to fly to Australia.

We are trying to plan a trip from San Jose, CA, most likely via LAX, to Sydney for October 2014 for 3 week trip. Will have enough miles for business class (220k for 2). Also visit Melbourne and NZ during trip so can fly into those cities if needed.

I checked the AS site and spoke to an agent but no flights/seats come up.

Appreciate hearing about experiences and recommendations.

Thank you.