FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Miserable experience with a bereavement fare on Delta
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:13 pm
JudyS

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
Delta has refused to honor the bereavement fare that was given to me over the phone. They said that if I fly, DH & I will be charged the full $2400+ and there is nothing they can do about it.

I canceled the tickets. From the time I explained the problem via Twitter, to the time Delta said the fare was canceled, was about an hour. While I was waiting (and waiting, etc) for them to respond via Twitter, I booked a flight on Southwest.

Thanks for the advice here. I wasn't able to get the promised fare, but at least I was eventually able to find out whether the fare would be honored, and then get it canceled. Without the Twitter advice here, I might not have been able to resolve this tonight (and I am flying tomorrow.) So, I am very happy with Flyertalk!

I am not so happy with Delta. Charging someone a fare 3x the price that was promised and then making the customer spend hours trying to cancel the fare is really not acceptable, even when it's not a bereavement situation. I want to complain about this. (After the funeral; not today.) Any ideas where I should start?