FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:47 am
vossman

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum
Angry Nice Going Delta....

As a business traveler (Monday - Thursday) this rule is crazy! When I was forced to switch from United to Delta after moving to Minneapolis for flight availability reasons, the idea of having to call 3 hours before a flight I wanted to take and knew had availability to go standby on was ridiculous (at United you have 24 hours) but I sucked it up and played the game so I could get home to my family earlier.

Now, if I read the rule change correctly at delta.com, http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-changes.html#

the new rule is that as a PM I am no longer going to be able to go SDC for any flight that isn't within 3 hours of the original flight!!!?? For even MSP, most DL flights are spread out over 3 hours apart (excluding hubs). therefore, I now get the pleasure of spending an extra $50 for the confirmed standby??!!! What is the value of being loyal?? I mean, as a PM or DM we basically get the same treatment as a general member!!!

Based on this change and the introduction of UP fares (which I do like for booking more first class tickets instead of trying to upgrade) that as a frequent traveler, I would be better off trying to get status with another airline (even though I will have to connect) and use them for as much flying as flight schedules permit and then buy Delta flights as needed and forget about the status. With the skypesos nearly worthless and with Delta giving away free bags and early boarding with an AMEX card I don't see any reason to stay loyal to Delta.

Thanks again Delta!

Chris