FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:20 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by jackal
Like nsx, I'm not penalizing you for not having "dotted the right i's or crossed the right t's or done the right math." If I become convinced that this move is the right move for FlyerTalk, then I will vote yes. If I remain convinced that this move is not productive for FlyerTalk, then I will vote no. It just so happens that your best chance of convincing me that it will be productive is to address the questions that I and many others have posed that you (and other proponents of the idea) seem to be completely ignoring. But if something comes up that suddenly makes me think it will be a positive idea, then I will not let the lack of any forms or questionnaires or mathematically-sound answers or whatever stand in the way of a "yes" vote.

I simply am not yet convinced that this is a net-positive move for FlyerTalk. But I remain open-minded! I am actively soliciting for you (or anyone) to change my mind! I am having a difficult time understanding why that request is going unanswered.

Your original idea was to in effect use FlyerTalk as a replacement for the comments section on most frequent traveler blogs. Your concern was two-fold: one, that comments on those blogs are censored, and two, that commenters have a better chance of being engaged and knowledgeable here on FlyerTalk rather than on the blogs, where most of the people who read (and comment?) are less knowledgeable than our fellow FlyerTalkers.

As to the first point, it is something I've never personally witnessed, although I am not a frequent commenter and only ever check--rarely--a couple of blogs. As to the second point, I would not necessarily dispute that. However, I expressed skepticism that the format of your original proposal--to basically replace the comments section on the blogs with a comments section here--was workable--what would make someone, even an FTer heavily invested in the community, who wants to comment on a blog post to spend the time to go seek out a place to do so on FlyerTalk rather than using the handy-dandy comment submission form right on the blog itself? I doubt I would. Thus, I didn't think it would succeed.

It seems like it wasn't until the motion was brought forward to a vote that all this discussion about needing a place to talk about blogs and bloggers and who's a trustworthy source of information and who has a hidden ulterior motive and all of that was put together with this proposal. Thus, while those are important points to consider, it seems to me that the current proposal may not be the best way to address all of that.

In any case, I've waited until close to the end of the voting period to allow the maximum amount of time for discussion in hopes that someone would address the questions I raised earlier or otherwise post something that convinces me to support the motion. So far, that has not happened. I remain quite confused why you seem like you only want to post meaningless platitudes rather than concrete reasons on why this is indeed the best way to meet this need. If you want me to support it, then you need to help me understand in concrete terms--I know that's hard for you MBTI N types--why you think this proposal is a great idea and will succeed, not tell me I should assume it will.
ENFP, that's me! ^

Anyway, thanks for remaining open minded.

To be blunt, I fear that the bolded bit may be part of the issue here.

Although you and many 'old-timers' do not regularly visit blogs the fact is that many new members do. In fact I'd say it is safe to assume that many, many new FlyerTalk members actually find FlyerTalk via a points and miles blog anymore.

Even for me, while blogs will never replace FlyerTalk as my go-to source for points and miles information, as my life keeps getting busier and busier I do find that when time is short I will check a few blogs rather than page through FlyerTalk. Especially blogs that do a good job of aggregating information about programs that are important to me.

Which do I read? Which do a good job of following the programs I care about? What programs are those? How accurate, helpful and timely are those blogs?

Vote for the new forum and we can talk about it! @:-)^