FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COPA Upgrades for United members?
View Single Post
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:46 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sbm12
I can intermittently see Z inventory on FlightStats but I cannot figure the rhyme or reason for when it shows up or why. It does show here, for example, but not here. And that's for the same flight, though one has an onward connection and the other does not. But even that isn't sufficient to get consistent search results. I've had some where the same search will show two flight options, one with Z and one without.
It appears that Z class maps to I on CM, so a search for that on EF returns the correct result. I just got off the phone with UA and confirmed that what they see as Z, I can see as I on CM.

Originally Posted by flycal312
This process to get it registered in my 1 experience was painful. Although I rarely say this, it's usually better to have an ex-co agent and you might want to start by asking if they have ever upgraded on copa before. I've been told the process is similar to what was done between Continental and KLM back in the skyteam period when an agent had to 'cat' the reservation by creating a new reservation with a UA pnr that can communicate with the copa reservation. This once paid off when leaving from mvd and other 1ks were in the back when their CPU didn't clear but the regional cleared instantly.
The 1K desk transferred me to the *A desk when I asked about upgrading on COPA, and the guys there absolutely knew what they were doing without question. Call them directly at 1-877-726-7282, option 1. (The process itself is as you described and definitely takes awhile, but they were able to do it immediately without any prompting or asking for supervisors or anything.)

Also, for a little blast from the past, search FT for that phone number.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 9, 2013 at 11:16 am