FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:52 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx

3. What's your argument that the volume of threads and post will be sufficient to attract and retain readers? This is probably the most crucial question. What data can you gather to give any confidence that the new forum will be a success. Are we really limited to "try it and find out"? As the main proponent, you should be able to do better than that.
I had posted in the other thread the questions we ask other FTers to answer when considering new forums (and one of them is what you're asking), but koko didn't answer them (which as an aside, isn't really fair to other FTers who we ask to do so).

FWIW - given that TB has only closed one forum (the seniors forum) since I've been a member, I'm not a fan of the 'let's try it & we can always close it if it doesn't work' train of thought as it doesn't really happen. I'm more a proponent of 'let's make a strong case for the forum being created in the first place' train of thought.

For the record I've voted no on this. I stated my reasons in both threads, but to recap:

* I don't think there will be volume of threads to justify the creation of a new forum. Part of that is based on looking at Milesbuzz where there really aren't many threads re: bloggers, certainly not enough if we were considering a new forum such as airline or region, for us to vote yes.
* I think it's a solution looking for a problem.
* I have a legit concern that the forum will bog down in nastiness such as witnessed in the closed threads re: bloggers that do exist in Milesbuzz (acknowledging that mods will be tasked w/ monitoring)
* Bloggers usually post about credit card sign-ups, & we have a credit card forum for threads re: that, or they blog about airline/car rental/hotel programs & we have forums for those threads, or if it's a general travel blog/blog post, there's Travelbuzz so there are already appropriate forums that exist to handle such things
* There doesn't seem to be a huge clamoring for this forum by FTers, based on # of posts in both threads & those who have responded are about equally divided between yes & no, so other than koko really, really wanting it, I don't see a strong desire by FTers for the forum

There are a couple other reasons, but boarding for flight is going to start in a few minutes so I need to sign off.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 5, 2013 at 6:59 am