FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qantas chauffeur drive and Dubai connect goes live: Very impressed!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:00 am
DS7

Programs: BA (shiny); VS (amoeba); Others (plankton)
Qf dxb - lhr

Firstly, the important stuff:

Chauffeur Drive uses the same company as Virgin and Emirates (Tristar) although there is a separate desk straight ahead of you as you exit into the arrivals hall at T3.

On the plane, I was told there should be someone standing with my name on a board but if not, just go to the Qantas/Tristar desk which I did. There were a couple of drivers milling around. I gave my name to the fellow at the desk who confirmed my reservation; gave the nod to one of the drivers and away we went to the Short Stay Car park.

Car was an E-Class Merc. Driver told me they operate a fleet of:

Volvo's (used mainly for Virgin), E- Class, S-Class and Viano (minibus/van). Ride was decent enough and the driver pleasant.

The flight/experience itself was a bit of a let down (I was in First) for the following reasons:

1) The Check in agent could not check me in because I did not have a print out of my itinerary. She advised I go to the Sales Counter to get it printed wich would have been fine if there was anybody manning that desk; there wasn't. I got talking to another member of staff who confirmed that as I was leaving to "go home", a printed itinerary would be un-necessary. This sounds logical but the lady at Check In desk knew nothing about this.

2) The inbound aircraft arrived ahead of schedule but left late. This in itself isn't a major prob but it was frustrating to keep being told "just a few more mins Sir." We eventually departed (and arrived) an hour or so late. My judgement was a little clouded though because the QF9 left just before us and also the Emirates LHR flight so 3 a380 landing at LHR one after the other and I was on no3 :-(

3) Once seated, I did not expect it to take over 20 mins to be offered a drink, amenity kit and Sleep suit.

4) I was offered a wine menu but no dinner menu as they had "run out".

5) I had to wait a similar amount of time for my bed to be made up and Breakfast offered.

6) Priority luggage didn't happen

To be fair, this one one of the first flights to go via Dubai so teeting probs are to be expected I guess but disappointing nonetheless.

The bed was very decent though. On the whole based on this singular experience, I think I'd be inclined to stick with BA but I'd be interested in othe people's thoughts on this experience.

One off or no ?